[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Jul 27 00:31:12 UTC 2006

> On 07/26/06 17:32, Steve Hodge wrote:
>
>>On 7/27/06, Paul Wheeler <paulrwheeler at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>It is these problems that unfortunately make a very simple idea
>>>extremely non trivial as such i have never looked into it at all or
>>>asked others about it as it is extremely unlikely anyone will have the
>>>time/effort to code it up for what is a minor 'defect'.
>>>

>>It's not a minor defect, it's a major issue for people with one card.
>>It means carefully monitoring schedules and overriding your usual
>>default start early and end late times.
>>

> Or having an appropriate number of capture cards for the amount of
> recording you want to do.  If you want to watch 2 TV shows at the same
> time from your satellite or digital cable TV service, how many
> satellite/cable receivers do you buy?  So, if you want to record 2 shows
> at the same time, how many capture cards should you buy?

If I watch 2 shows, one after the other, on the same channel, I expect to
have ONE capture card.

I agree with Paul that it IS an issue. How would you deal with the
condition of one STB source and recording the svideo output of it - not
trivial to split to two capture cards and in any case, if you have 2 cards
to record from one source, which one decides what channel is captured?
Please don't tell me that the answer is another STB - I think the US is
the only place where STBs come free in a packet of cornflakes (or
equivalent no cost increase from the service provider...).

By the way - how do I fit an extra capture card to my motherboard that
only has one card slot :-)

--
Robin Gilks