[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 27 00:53:22 UTC 2006

Robin Gilks wrote:

>>> It's not a minor defect, it's a major issue for people with one card.
>>> It means carefully monitoring schedules and overriding your usual
>>> default start early and end late times.
>>>

>> Or having an appropriate number of capture cards for the amount of
>> recording you want to do.  If you want to watch 2 TV shows at the same
>> time from your satellite or digital cable TV service, how many
>> satellite/cable receivers do you buy?  So, if you want to record 2 shows
>> at the same time, how many capture cards should you buy?
>>

> If I watch 2 shows, one after the other, on the same channel, I expect to
> have ONE capture card.

Of course and that's not what Michael said, he spoke of recording two
shows at the same time.
> I agree with Paul that it IS an issue. How would you deal with the
> condition of one STB source and recording the svideo output of it - not
> trivial to split to two capture cards and in any case, if you have 2 cards
> to record from one source, which one decides what channel is captured?

You don't.  It's a silly argument to make because it is technically
impossible.  If you have one source (STB), you need one card for each.
Each card can record one show.  The problem ultimately is that by
setting longer start/end times you are, in effect, *asking* Myth to
record two shows that overlap which requires two cards.  While the idea
of streaming the same recording to two files is not new, no one has
stepped up to provide the code to do it.
> Please don't tell me that the answer is another STB - I think the US is
> the only place where STBs come free in a packet of cornflakes (or
> equivalent no cost increase from the service provider...).

Of course the answer is another STB if that is the only source you have
for Television.
> By the way - how do I fit an extra capture card to my motherboard that
> only has one card slot :-)

It's called a slave backend.  Another wonderful flexibility feature of
Myth at your service.

Kevin