[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Jul 27 18:53:02 UTC 2006

Steve Daniels wrote:
>> So far I am able to record to multiple files from a single stream using ?
>> the MpegRecorder?. My next step is to implement this for the DVBRecorder.
>>

> It would seem that the recording to multiple files was first implemented in
> MpegRecorder *not* the DVBRecorder. I assume the same logic could also be
> applied to any of the other recorders. It gets more complex when you try to
> do multiple channels on a single mux etc. But that's not how the coding
> started out, it looks like it started out in a way that can solve this
> problem.

The recording of one stream to multiple files isn't really much of an
issue.  It is fairly trivial and from the trac entry, may already be
feasable.  The real issue surrounds make it scheduler aware so that Myth
can properly instruct the recorders to perform this action which has yet
to be attempted.  Architecturally, none of these suggestions are very
difficult to properly design.  Getting someone to code it is another
story and why it has yet to be done.

Kevin