[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this (overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Fri Jul 28 03:39:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:44:17PM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> > Yes, Myth is doing what you asked it to do, but by a very roundabout
> > route.  The users are correct to be surprised by their inability
> > to record the adjacent shows just because they asked for padding.
> >
> Actually, it is doing quite literally what you asked.  Record this show
> + padding.  That precludes other shows given the existing requirement

Again, the users asked for this, but they don't understand why.
If users are not understanding why, it eventually becomes not the
user's fault, but the program's fault, even if the program is doing
just what it was designed to do.

I think one of the reasons for this particular confusion is that myth
has 2 paddings available.  The global padding handles overlap fine,
with the only issue being that a small part of one recording will
appear in another.   The per-program padding treats overlap as a conflict
even on the same channel.

> that you can only record one show per tuner.  End of story.
> > The ideal of course is to please everybody.  And that's possible here,
> > just a SMOP.
> >
> While I agree it is nice to wish that Myth recorded the padding to two
> files at the same time, it doesn't and while the best design, it isn't
> going to happen unless someone codes it...

Ummm... that's what SMOP means.