[mythtv-users] What FCC ruling requires OTA digital unencrypted?

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Fri Jul 28 16:49:58 UTC 2006

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>
>> 	Hey all... starting to play with HDTV and digital with the arrival
>> of a QAM-capable HDTV set.  After auto-tuning, it found a few digital
>> channels, but with "unusable signal."  I suspect the local Adelphia is not
>> providing anything unencrypted.
>>
>> 	According to what I've read around here, the FCC ruling requires
>> that OTA-receivable signals are provided unencrypted, no?  Can anyone cite
>> chapter and verse of the ruling that requires it so I can go bust some
>>

> You could just call and ask them.  Instead of assuming them the devil, I
> called Comcast and they simply told me that I would receive all the OTA
> HD channels unencrypted even with basic basic cable service.  No extra
> payments, nothing.  All included in my meager $15/mo. service.
>
> Kevin

I don't know where you guys live, but right now, I have Adelphia in
North-central WV.  There are 4 channels not encrypted that I can pull in
with my pcHDTV card:  PBS, NBC, ABC, and CBS. (The music channels tune,
but I've got the familiar problem of not enough video frames and mplayer
dies) Adelphia uses a lovely call center where no useful information is
to be found.  With Adelphia, your best bet is probably to go to your
local office in person and ask them what HD channels you'll get out of
your HD-tuner in your TV without their cablecard. (That'll give you an
idea of what you can expect from a pcHDTV (etc).

As always, don't cop to using a non-Adelphia PVR, there's plenty of
cable employees that don't understand it and either think you're
breaking their TOS or are so confused that they'll try to get you to
explain _everything_ from "It's a computer?" to "What's L-i-n-u-x?"....
/sigh

As a side note, I have a TV w/ an HD tuner built in. Oddly, I wasn't
able to tune any Adelphia HD stations with my TV (though my pcHDTV got
them in the clear).  I ordered a cablecard for the TV (decrypts all the
digital cable channels for my TV), and once it was installed, I got the
non-encrypted channels.  The  intersting thing is, that was when the
cablecard wasn't activated.  (couldn't receive any digital channels, but
the TV could then pick up the  clear HD stuff.)  I assume it's something
funky w/ my TV and it assumes there has to be a cablecard if you're
wanting to watch HD.. I dunno.

--Phill W