[mythtv-users] What FCC ruling requires OTA digital unencrypted?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 28 17:23:32 UTC 2006

On 07/28/06 13:02, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 07/28/06 11:20, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>
>>	According to what I've read around here, the FCC ruling requires
>>that OTA-receivable signals are provided unencrypted, no?  Can anyone cite
>>chapter and verse of the ruling that requires it so I can go bust some
>>heads with tech support?
>>
>The FCC hasn't yet made a ruling on whether to require the unencrypted
>transmission of DTV broadcast signals on cable lines.  However, there is
>a ruling in place requiring cable companies to transmit OTA-receivable
>SDTV channels unencrypted.

Straight from the FCC ( http://www.fcc.gov/oet/faqs/dtvfaqs.html ):

Question: Is the FCC going require that HDTV be available over cable by
year 2003?

    Answer: The required carriage of DTV stations on cable systems is
currently under consideration by the Commission in CS Docket 98-120
adopted July 9, 1998. (See Cable Television Fact Sheet - Cable Carriage
of Broadcast Stations)

(The referenced document is available at
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/cblbdcst.html , but says nothing about DTV
or digital or ...  ???)

Mike