[mythtv-users] Which HD card?

Jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Sat Jul 29 00:22:19 UTC 2006

> I get it.  It's a DIGITAL broadcast.  What are they then?  Are they standard
> mpeg2?  Oh there was something about mpeg stream and mpeg direct or
> something.  Are they a standard format that can be played by mplayer or MS
> Media Player?

ATSC is a standard MPEG2 transport-stream (TS). It will play in a player
that supports MPEG 2 TS such as VLC.

MS Media Player requires a plugin to play MPEG 2 and I don't think the
common ones that come with DVD software will play TS files. There are a
few utilities to convert from TS to PS (program-stream) and then WMP
should play it ok.

I tend to use VLC for playing video on Windows.

> Thanks for the heads up on using the HD card as a second NTSC tuner!  I'll
> look to a second PVR150 for a second NTSC tuner and expect to capture only
> over-the-air HD with the new HD card.
>
> I hope someone contributes more info differentiating these cards, but until
> then thanks again for your reply.  It was very informative!

BTW - Check out the HDHomeRun: www.silicondust.com

It plugs into your network so there are no issues with compatibility.
The only requirement is that you are running the soon to be released
MythTV 0.20.

Nick