[mythtv-users] Which HD card?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Jul 29 00:43:16 UTC 2006

stan wrote:
> I'm running Myth .19 under Fedora FC4 on an 800 MHz P4 box with an Hauppauge
> PVR350.  Everything has been working great.
>
> The TV is SDTV, but I'm looking to add an HD capture card with goals of
>
> 	1.  Having it for the future when I get the new HDTV
> 	2.  Use it now by viewing on my computer LCD monitor
>
> I've narrowed the cards down to the HD5500 and the Avermedia A180.  These
> finalists were selected by the volume of information on this list.

I'm probably one of the people voting for the A180.  I have one.  Works
great and *very* inexpensive but it doesn't do the NTSC side of things.
You can find a good reference chart of HD cards (ATSC) here

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards

That shows which do ATSC only and which to NTSC also (but hardly any do
it without major jiggering so it's almost not worth talking about).

Kevin