[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 29 06:36:19 UTC 2006

On 07/28/2006 08:17 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>>> I don't see the relevance of the objections you raised in that post.
>>> Can you elaborate? We are talking about a single tuner writing all of
>>> both recordings, not having one tuner start a recording and a second
>>> tuner finish it. So the multiple backend scenario you mentioned
>>> doesn't apply.
>> So, as soon as you install a second capture card, all your overpadded
>> recording rules begin to conflict because Myth's behavior /all of a
>> sudden/ changes?
> What's a second card got to do with it? I don't see what you're getting at.

Did you even read the post or just copy its link?  OK, I'll assume you
read it, but I was not clear in presenting the ideas.  So, let me try again.

Your words: "We are talking about a single tuner writing all of both
recordings, not having one tuner start a recording and a second tuner
finish it."

Since you didn't understand my post (linked above), the Cliff's Notes
version is:  "Back-to-back recordings are not always captured using the
same capture card, to ensure the highest-priority shows get recorded on
the highest-quality capture cards."  (And we're not talking a small
percentage of the time, either--I would say bordering on 50% of the
time, at least, on my systems.)

So, once someone installs a second capture card, we're not talking about
a single tuner writing all of both recordings, anymore.  If the system
includes one hardware encoder and one software encoder or one encoder
(hardware or software) and one digital tuner (or, worse, one of all
three), how can data from two different types of encoders get written to
the same file?

2 minutes of HDTV followed by a jarring switch to BTTV-captured software
encoded SDTV?  Not even looking at the technical issues involved in the
MPEG-2-encoded HDTV and RTJPEG- or MPEG-4-encoded SDTV, this doesn't
seem like a good solution.  And, /if/ the cards are on different
backends, it's even harder to find a workable solution.  (Note, though,
that we /still/ have a problem if they're on the same backend.)

So, if we say, "Well, we'll just make it only work when /all/ capture
cards are the same type /and/ on the same backend," that means that
Myth's behavior changes when someone installs new capture cards.  So all
the recording schedules they've set up with a one PVR-150 Myth system
(schedules that include overzealous padding) work fine, but when the
user adds her new HDTV card, she all of a sudden has /more/ conflicts
and--by adding a new capture card--has reduced the number of shows she's
able to record.

Anyway, I'm bowing out of this thread, now.  If my point still isn't
clear, feel free to start writing the code and attempting to submit a
patch for inclusion.  If you don't start to see the issues then, you
won't ever see them (or, you're far more creative than I and have come
up with an ingenious solution for them).

Regardless, it's not me you need to convince.  Bruce Markey and David
Engel (and, of course, Isaac) are the ones who will likely make
decisions about whether to commit this type of functionality.

Mike