[mythtv-users] is mythtv smart enough to do this(overlap/back-to-back) with recordings?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 07:27:08 UTC 2006

> > So, once someone installs a second capture card, we're not talking about
> > a single tuner writing all of both recordings, anymore.  If the system
> > includes one hardware encoder and one software encoder or one encoder
> > (hardware or software) and one digital tuner (or, worse, one of all
> > three), how can data from two different types of encoders get written to
> > the same file?
>
> This is where I'm confused.. Why are you trying to write data from two
> different cards ( or in a bad situation two different types of encoders) to
> the same file? What I was talking about in the thread your referencing to is
> using one card and splitting that into two files.
>
> I think I'm going to have to suffer another of your condescendingly toned
> emails that attempts to explain your point..

My understanding on what he was saying is that Myth will automatically
use the best card for a given task.  If you've got one recording
over-recording a show, and a second (different type) of tuner
recording the next show up (because Myth doesn't want to not record a
show that it can with another tuner), Myth will throw the first part
of the new show into the previous shows file, giving a mpeg4+mpeg2
file that has twin endings (because of post-roll setup).  The soft
padding talked about in the thread linked to that is 4 pages kind of
tackles this dilemma (at least I seem to have groked that).  Because
you set a per-show post roll (which I think is being referred to as a
hard pad) it will use your other tuner to grab the next show.  With
the softpad (that doesn't exist yet but is being worked on) if you set
a soft per-show post roll, then the single tuner will record both
shows.

At least that's my vague interpretation of all of that uber technical stuff :D

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com