[mythtv-users] card number = inverse priority? (is mythtv smart enough to do this)

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Sat Jul 29 14:23:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 01:07:53PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/26/06 12:10, Peter Watkins wrote:

> OK.  So let's say I'm recording a high-priority (+99) movie from
> 3:30-5:30.  From 5:00-5:30 and 5:30-6:00 are two episodes of a
> medium-priority (+50) show.

> Card 0 - Movie - 3:30-5:30
> Card 1 - Show - 5:00-5:31
> Card 0 - Show - 5:30-6:01
>
> Notice that the two episodes of my show are being recorded on different
> capture cards.  So, you may ask, "Well, why isn't Myth smart enough to
> record both episodes of the show on the same card?"
> If all your inputs have the same specified priority, the
> lowest-numbered input wins the tie.

Thanks for the explanation (really).

I see that as a defect -- if the scheduler sees two cards with the same
priority, it should treat them as equals. If anything, Myth should give
priority to a usable tuner that's already scheduled to be tuning the
relevant channel at the start time (especially if it knew how to write
overlap video content to both files).

This reminds me of a Live TV behavior that's annoyed me (and cost me a
good bit of time when making hardware changes) and spurred some
traffic here, that the *highest* numbered tuner card (rather than the card
with the lowest priority) is used for Live TV if a conflict-avoidance
setting is chosen. Card numbers are no indication of quality, it's
problematic that Myth treats them that way.

> If we randomly shuffle around
> capture cards, we might get the high-priority movie recorded on a BTTV
> card and the episodes of a medium-priority show recorded on a
> high-definition card.  Myth shouldn't be making this decision--the user
> should do so by rearranging priorities (possibly with a recording
> override for the show).

Right, Myth shouldn't be deciding that a lower numbered card is better
even though it has the same user-assigned priority. If the user thinks
a lower-numbered tuner is better, the user can change its priority.

-Peter