[mythtv-users] Recording all episodes, if no conflict

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Jul 29 22:30:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:48:17PM +0200, Thomas B?rkel wrote:
> chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 07:21:57PM +0200, Thomas B?rkel wrote:
> >> Either I set a duplicate matching rule (then it only records a certain
> >> episode once) or I don't set a duplicate matching rule, then I get a
> >> conflict, if my 2 capture cards are not enough to record the episode and
> >> other scheduled stuff. But in this case, I just like to not record this
> >> particular showing.
> > Do you mean the reruns are conflicting with the new episode?
> No, the episodes in the evening (first run) sometimes would conflict
> with other shows.

That is the normal behavior.  If you have more shows in a
particular time-slot than you have tuners then you will see a
conflict in the schedule.  As long as your priorities are set
correctly it shouldn't matter as Myth will simply record the one
that's most important to you.  If you have "reschedule higher
priorities" enabled then you may find your ubiquitous low-priority
show bumps a lot of stuff.  (It would be nice if Myth had a
finer-grained priority system so that priorities above a certain
value could never be bumped or priorities below a certain value
could not cause a bump, but so far that idea has been totally
rejected.)

The only real complication is if you have the start early or end
late buffers specified in your recording rule.  In that case you
will get conflicts between successive shows even though they don't
appear to overlap in the schedule and may even be on the same
channel.  See the "is Myth smart enough to do this" thread.