[mythtv-users] Westinghouse 42" 1080p DVI issues

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jul 31 23:45:23 UTC 2006

On Jul 27, 2006, at 3:14 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> I just got a Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD display. I've run into a
> couple of issues and hoping someone can offer advice.
>
> 1. I've got a 256MB FX-5200 with VGA and DVI out. I hooked up the VGA
> and it looked great. I thought DVI might be a little better. For
> DVD's, I was right. I did think it looked better, but when watching
> anything recorded off a tuner (pcHDTV-5500, PVR-350) I get evenly-
> spaced thin jumping horizontal lines that I don't get with VGA. They
> are most noticeable with high-contrast images like white text on a
> black background. I am running at 1920x1080 res. The obvious answer
> is to just run VGA, but if I can get DVI happening, I would feel much
> better. :) This is from my xorg.conf if it helps:
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "nvidia"
>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>          BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
>          #Option      "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
>          #Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
>          Option "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
>          Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
>          Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier "Westy"
> VendorName "Westinghouse"
> ModelName "LV42w2"
> #HorizSync 67.5 - 68.5
> #VertRefresh 59.9 - 60.1
> #ModeLine "1920x1080p" 148.500 1920 2024 2072 2200 1080 1084 1094
> 1124 -hsync -vsync
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Videocard0"
> Monitor "Westy"
> DefaultDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Depth 24
> Modes "1920x1080p"
> EndSubSection
> EndSection

I gave up on the 5200FX card and threw down $200 on a GeForce 7600GS
card. Problem 1 is solved since I now have a Dual-Link DVI port to
support the full 1080p resolution.

> 2. MythPhoto displays thumbnail images perfectly, but when I try to
> view an image full-screen, I get small horizontal bands of color
> through a mostly black screen. When I change pictures, the colors
> change so it looks like it's reading image data, but unable to
> display at this res. This happens exactly the same through VGA and
> DVI.

Still have this issue with the new card. I turned off OpenGL
transitions and the images display fine.

> 3. I've got a DirecTV D-11 receiver going to my PVR-350. I've read
> about controlling with a USB->serial adaptor (and null modem plus
> serial cable on the other end). Before I go out and buy this setup,
> I'd like to try to get it working with my current dual IR Blaster
> (just controlling this device with it for now). Any hints as to how
> to get this going is appreciated. I did a little searching, but I
> couldn't find any easy to read walkthrough on which codes work, etc.
> I do have lirc running since I'm using the remote from my PVR-350 to
> control everything. Do I need a second instance of lirc running for
> the blaster?

Done with the help of http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-
info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

> 4. StepMania was working through sVideo on my card perfectly.
> However, it crashes X whenever I try to launch. It tells me that it
> couldn't write directly to OpenGL. Is there something I should add to
> my xorg.conf that will allow whatever res it's looking for in order
> to be able to write to it properly? I know this is more of a question
> for a StepMania list, but I'm thinking someone here might have run
> into it before.

Still the same issue.

Is there an issue with OpenGL and the nvidia drivers (I'm using 8726)
or is there an issue with running OpenGL at all at 1080p resolution?

Thanks,

Brad