[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.19 -lqt-mt error linking problem

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jun 4 00:06:41 UTC 2006

Douglas Eckhart writes:

> Hi All,
> I'm hoping someone can tell me what the trick is to build mythtv on
> ubuntu dapper, (yes, the recent release).  I apt-get qt3-dev-tools, set
> QTDIR=/usr/share/qt3, make sure that /usr/share/qt3/bin is in the $PATH,
> (so I can run qmake?) following the instructions posted on the mythtv
> webvsite:  unpack mythtv-0.19.tar.bz2, cd into mythtv-0.19/,  run
> ./configure, qmake mythtv.pro, make, the  compile goes along without any
> warnings even, I think, finally it starts to link the first .so and I
> get an error and the message "cannot find -lqt-mt" .  However, I can and
> I have done plenty to point at it (libqt-mt.so.3.3.4, which is actually

That's not what it's looking for.  The linker is looking for libqt-mt.so.

Either your system has corrupted or missing files, or Ubuntu is broken.  The
same package that contains QT header files should also install a symbolic
link from libqt-mt.so to the versioned shared library.

On Fedora, for example, /usr/lib/qt-3.3/lib contains:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      17 Apr 21 22:38 libqt-mt.so ->libqt-mt.so.3.3.4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      17 Apr 21 22:04 libqt-mt.so.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.3.4
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root      17 Apr 21 22:04 libqt-mt.so.3.3 -> libqt-mt.so.3.3.4
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 8681592 Apr 20 05:18 libqt-mt.so.3.3.4

libqt-mt.so.3.3.4 is installed by the base QT package:

$ rpm -q -f libqt-mt.so.3.3.4
qt-3.3.4-15.5

The libqt-mt.so link is not installed by the base QT package.  It gets
installed by the qt-devel package, which contains the symlink explicitly.

$ rpm -q -f libqt-mt.so
qt-devel-3.3.4-15.5

That's how it's done on Fedora; Ubuntu should work the same way.

You can, of course, create the symlink by hand.  But, it's not really going
to fix whatever's broken on your box.  If you were, as you say, able to get
things compiled, but the link failed, that tells me that your QT header
files are installed, but the .so symlink is missing.  Either Ubuntu's
qt-devel package is broken, or you have a bunch of random files deleted in
/usr/lib.