[mythtv-users] flicker (and other problems)

Micah Wedemeyer fanmail at micah-wedemeyer.net
Sun Jun 4 22:59:26 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm having 2 problems with an otherwise great setup.  I don't remember
when they started, but it's been going on for at least 2 months now.  My
WAF is slowly dwindling and I finally have time to work on it.

1) Many of my recordings have a flicker problem, where every few seconds
there is a flash/flicker.  Using pause and frame-by-frame seeking, I can
see that the flicker actually seems to be some sort of transition
problem where there are 2 super-imposed images.

To see an example of this, take a look at this file:
http://wedemeyers.net/mythstuff/test_cap.mpg

The file is 18M and has many examples of the flicker.

2) Some longer recordings (>45 minutes) seem to encounter some sort of
error where skipping becomes impossible.  I can fast forward for a
while, but at a certain point, the FF and REW stops working.  All that
happens is the screen pauses for a second, then I get a lot of
artifacting, then it proceeds, irrespective of FF or REW.  It seems to
be a function of recording length.  1-hour recordings often have this
problem, and 2-hour recordings always have it.  30 minutes or less
almost never have it.

I've loaded these recordings up in mplayer, and when I try to seek and
move around, I get the following error:
"Cannot seek backward in linear streams"

I loaded one of these files up in Windows Media Player, using Stinky's
MPEG-2 codec (
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Stinkys-MPEG-Codec.shtml
) and it plays fine (although with flicker like I described earlier).

I am trying to get a file with this problem posted somewhere, but they
are usually quite large.  Like I said, they are >45 minutes long and I
record at a very high bitrate.

Backend:
Fedora Core 4: 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
(can't remember mobo, I think it was an NForce2...not sure)
PVR-250
MythTV 0.19.20060121-2
(not sure how to get ivtv driver info)

Frontend: