[mythtv-users] X-10 Module for Myth?

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 23:29:49 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/02/06 14:19, Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> Nick Ellson wrote:
>>

>>> Ahh, well the ir command idea sounds doable in a pinch. I'll play with
>>> that.
>>>
>>> But when I started seeing all the modules that Myth had that side stepped
>>> TV directly I started thinking what else this interface lends itself to.
>>> Heck, I could see home-automation modules fit right in, if you view myth
>>> as the best way to keep you in the easy-chair ;)
>>>
>>> For me, I managed to get X-10 to run just about everything from my
>>> sprinkler system to the A/C in the house, and on to the security system.
>>>
>>> So to have some control using Myth and the USB Active Home controller,
>>> well.. gee, why get off my butt again?
>>>
>>> Hoping this plants a seed in someone looking for a project that can code.
>>> (if that were me this would be one I'd like to try, but my lame BASH
>>> scripping just won't cut it ;))
>>>
>> Check out plutohome.com....
>>

> And plutohome.org if you want to try to install the open-source software
> on your own system.

If you have have the coding skills take a look at the GlobalCache GC-100
or better yet, the WACI NX+ for bulletproof home automation.

http://www.globalcache.com/products/gc-index.html
http://www.auroramultimedia.com/web/?section=products&product=wacinxplus

Check out this implementation by Aurora, Metra and Ethereal Home
Theatre: http://www.waciworld.com/psp_controlled_car/

Professionally, I do not sell or service X-10 or other powerline control
systems. Even the latest generation UPB gear such as HAI has "blond
moments" and goes on the fritz too often. My clients would tie me to a
stake and douse me with gasoline if I sold them those solutions. With
that said, X-10 and UPB is still a fun and affordable way to break into
home control.

WRT automated lighting, the Lutron and Leviton IR offerings offer
near-bulletproof solutions. IF you are building a dedicated home
theatre, and you are budgeting for intricate lighting, I strongly
recommend the Lutron Graphic Eye. Be forewarned: if a supply house were
to sell you one of these I would NOT recommend installing it yourself
unless you are a master electrician. Most apprentices and journeyman
cannot grasp the requirements. It has very intricate needs with many
possible configurations. Seasoned pros myself included have "bricked" a
unit or two.