[mythtv-users] Phantom IR key presses?

Lee McLaren lmclaren at lrm.com.au
Mon Jun 5 23:45:06 UTC 2006

Ben Lancaster wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2006, at 09:33, Lee McLaren wrote:
>
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Ben Lancaster writes:
>>
>>> I have a working LIRC 0.8.0 CVS install using the Linux Input
>>> Layer  as the device, but there's something weird happening with
>>> Myth. I'm  getting quite regular phantom keypresses. For example,
>>> in the guide,  if I press down a few times, then up once, it'll
>>> repeat the previous  down command. irw reports the correct keys
>>> being pressed, so the  problem lies somewhere between the command
>>> hitting mythtv from LIRC,  and it performing it.
>>>
>> I am guessing that u have digital tv card and the remote is being
>> received by it and mapped as key presses
>>

> Correct!
>

>> I found that if you stopped lircd while watching TV the number keys
>> would still appear on the screen like you are direct inputing the
>> channel, if that's the case post back and I will go into depth on
>> what I had to do to fix.
>>

> consider this a post back! Thanks very much for offering to help :D
>
> Ben

Ok,

This is how I fixed it:

Read this wiki,
http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Remote_controllers

Follow the bit under quick instructions and do the irrecord to create
the config for your remote.

Then change your hardware.conf so that it uses the event you found as in
the wiki, my complete file is shown below for a reference:
root at mythtv:/etc/lirc# cat hardware.conf
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES=true
LIRCD_ARGS="-H dev/input -d /dev/input/event3"

Save you irrecord file in the /etc/lirc dir as lircd.conf

Edit your /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc file to use the new keys and you
are away.

Enjoy,
This made my remote everything I had hoped it would be and does not lock
up in the program guide any more.

regards

Lee McLaren