[mythtv-users] How does SKY deinterlace TV

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 18:06:06 UTC 2006

On 6/2/06, James Buckley <james at logicland.co.uk> wrote:
> Do you know how LCD's deinterlace TV, as if I could replicate the same on my
> MythTV box, aaaalll my problems go out the window

I don't know if LCD's do it differently, but RP/CRT HDTV's use an
algorithm that starts with IVTC (3:2, 2:2 pulldown) with something
similar to the kernel deinterlace (motion adaptive) as catchall for
what fails the IVTC.

What you have to realize though is that the chips are custom DSP's and
for the function they serve can be as fast as 10x what a Pentium4
could handle, ie for HD content.  From what I understand, Myth will
not be able to do a real-time motion adaptive deinterlace on HD
resolutions, though for SD feeds it should be fine with a modern high
end processor.
For HD though, the IVTC should catch and lock on to the pattern (even
for odd patterns like many OTA stations use) making deinterlacing
unnecesary.

There is someone on the dev list putting together an IVTC filter
currently, and I believe someone else is working on a way to let the
user select the "deinterlace" method by source/resolution, so in
theory 0.20 or 0.21 may allow for using the IVTC filter for HD sources
and the kerndeint for SD sources.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!