[mythtv-users] Alternatives to X-10, was: X-10 Module for Myth?

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:00:10 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

> another option is CLIPSAL, an Aussie company that SquareD (Schneider
> Electric) partnered with to sell in the U.S. market.
> http://www.squaredlightingcontrol.com/

Interesting. I checked with my residential rep and he hasn't even been
offered the kool-aid yet. The commercial rep I use knew of it and told
me to check back next year. Marketing is here. Product doesn't seem to
be available. To be perfectly honest, I stopped dealing with SquareD in
the late 80's except to replace defective breakers.

Solutions like CLIPSAL already exist in the States and have reached
maturity. Vantage, Lutron, and Lightolier are the go-to systems for
integrators wishing to tie into HAI, AMX, Crestron and the various DIY
control systems like Mr. House, Homeseer, etal.

For retrofits, Lutron RadioRA is a straighforward, fairly cost effective
way to automate. Bi-directional control of the system is possible with
RS-232.  Lutron RF is a very well known animal and behaves very well
when a system is designed properly. They even make a separate SKU
specifically for a certain area of NYC plagued with interference from
civil services. Lightolier has the Compose series which is similar to
Leviton's DALI powerline (X-10) controlled equipment. They also have the
Multiset Pro series but additional control wiring must be run throughout.

For new construction, Lutron Homeworks, Vantage C-Box and Lightolier
Lytemode systems are extremely robust but require centralized dimming
cabinets usually located in the mechanical room. Loads are piped/wired
directly to the cabinets while the control surfaces communicate via low
voltage wiring. Typically, systems such as these are found in the 3
million dollar and up homes.

An emerging wireless mesh technology called ZigBee (802.15) looks very
promising but so far, only Control4 has product to the market and it
looks like they have their work cut out for them to bring their wireless
dimmers to maturity. Keep an eye on this segment if and when it matures.

My recommendation still stands for the Graphic Eye in dedicated theaters
and for whole-home control, the RadioRA. If you are well connected, you
may be able to purchase the components but the learning curve for
designing the complete system is fairly steep. Lutron dealers receive
extensive factory /technical/ training in system design as opposed to
other manufacturers' sales and marketing sessions.

--
mw