[mythtv-users] Difficulty conceptualizing the relationship of Zap2it data and scanning for channels.

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:41:28 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> H P Ladds wrote:
> >
> >     No, all channel information is in the database in the channel table
> >
> > (OT note -- I'm trying out the quote feature of g-mail -- just
> > learning how to use it in this post).
> Try to work on bottom posting.  Posting replies at the top is frowned
> upon.
> >
> > Thanks for the reply -- now I have a different set of questions as a
> > result:
> >
> > What purpose does the "scan for channels" serve if all the information
> > is in the channel database?
> Scan for channels populates the frequency information into the database
> for the channels your provider has.  This is unnecessary for US cable
> channels because their frequencies are standard and hard coded into the
> system so it knows what they are.  Myth knows, zap2it knows, so it is
> automatically configured.  HDTV or other sources do not have these
> standard frequencies (ie: channel 2 > >
> > Does the database have a filename? Can I run a sed or awk on the
> > database and correct some errors in the listing info? (The listings
> > are off by about 4 hours.  Haven't truly delved into this issue yet
> > and discovered what is wrong -- but the programming info is way off).
> It is a MySQL database.  You should visit http://www.mysql.com for
> information on it.  A good tool for manipulating the database is
> PHPmyadmin (google it) which, if you can install it, provides a web
> interface for viewing and editing the database tables and information.
>
> Kevin

Try to work on bottom posting.  Posting replies at the top is frowned upon.

Is this better? It certainly makes sense that bottom posting would make for
easier reading. Oddly, after clicking "Reply" Goggle's Gmail places the
cursor at the top (and above) all other text.

It is a MySQL database.  You should visit http://www.mysql.com for

information on it.  A good tool for manipulating the database is

PHPmyadmin (google it) which, if you can install it, provides a web

interface for viewing and editing the database tables and information.

I'll certainly give it a look -- Thanks for all you help.

To summarize:

The channel frequency information and broadcast scheduling are in the same
MySQL database. Lacking this knowledge is what was causing me to have
difficulty "conceptualizing" how Myth stored data. I thought two arrays of
data needed to be placed into two separate database files. After a brief
look into MySQL I see that one database file may contain several arrays of
data.

Usually Zap2it populates the database with both sets of data -- as both sets
are relatively standardized and known. However, Zap2It is not aware of
exactly how local stations utilize their portion of the OTA spectrum.
Perhaps they will broadcast one HD signal, or maybe 5 SD signals on the
frequency. Therefore MythTV must scan the airwaves in order to "see" how how
the local stations are utilizing their bandwidth.

Most likely the local stations will broadcast the regularly scheduled
network programing,  but Zap2it is probably unaware of any additional
programing that a station might be broadcasting OTA.