[mythtv-users] Way OT: ota signal via cable?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 7 03:43:28 UTC 2006

On Jun 6, 2006, at 9:21 PM, Jay Hutfles wrote:

> This is a really, REALLY newbie question, but is it common for
> cable companies to send the local OTA signals for non-subscribers?
> We have Cox Cable in our area, but I'm not a subscriber.  Do I need
> to install an antenna, or can I get my free channels just by
> plugging into the line leading to my future house?
>
> Thanks for your patience with my way OT question and for any feedback!

Any cable operator I know of takes a very dim view of any non-
customer making or having any sort of electrical connection to their
system.

There are in fact some systems that have a minimal "off-air" tier
that they are required by franchise agreement to make available for
little or no cost to certain people (senior citizens, handicapped
etc.), but these agreements are extremely rare and getting rarer, and
it is extremely unlikely that you are in that situation.

If you do not intend to purchase cable, or a satellite system, you
will in all probability need to purchase an antenna.