[mythtv-users] Debian etch & lirc-modules-source

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Wed Jun 7 05:19:25 UTC 2006

George Nassas wrote:
> On 4-Jun-06, at 8:02 PM, Mike wrote:
>
>> So my question, if its even possible with the debian packages and these
>>
>> 2 possibly incompatible versions. Has somebody done this before (besides
>>
>> me who can't seem to do it again)?
>>

> I've gone down that same path multiple times but never gotten
> lirc-modules-source to work. Eventually I give up and build & install
> lirc manually. If you mix debian packages and raw lirc releases watch
> out for the location of the config files - debian puts them in
> /etc/lirc but the unpackaged Makefile puts them in /etc. I use
> /etc/lirc as the master and use soft links to keep the unpackaged
> stuff in sync.
>
> Also, lirc-modules-source puts its source in /usr/src/modules so
> dpkg-makekpkg will see it up and make module debs for you when you
> build your kernel. Well, it would if lirc-modules-source worked.
> Anyhow that /usr/src/modules thing is now deprecated, you're supposed
> to build module packages after your kernel build using a new tool but
> I don't think lirc has been packaged for it. Follow the endless linked
> READMEs for more non-information.
>
> I last upgraded my kernel in November and things were a mess
> lirc-wise. I was hoping lirc had sorted itself out by now but I guess
> not. Other than this peccadillo debian has always been smooth sailing
> for me so just hold your nose and type make install as root.
>
> - George

Well, that explains it. That version of lirc in testing (7.1pre2) isn't
even compatible with the kernel versions like 2.6.15. So its impossible
to get running like that without grabbing a previous kernel if they
exist in the repo. I should have gone with my gut and went with sarge
and tried lirc-modules-source from there. (running make-kpkg
modules_image from the headers dir) All seems to be working as I
remembered doing it. I just recorded the remote and now need to meddle
with udev rules to make it lirc boot properly. Quite aggravating but
eventually guessing and grabbing at straws seemed to pay off. Looks like
unstable it should be possible since it has 0.8.0. Too bad that package
hasn't made it to testing yet.

-Mike