[mythtv-users] MythDevice?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 7 12:55:59 UTC 2006

On Jun 7, 2006, at 6:39 AM, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> On 5/31/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> My opinion is that I have no desire to have to answer the inevitable
>> idiotic questions from customers, as once you take their money they
>> have no compunctions about bothering you constantly with questions
>> that will make even P.T. Barnum's assessment of human intelligence
>> seem optimistic. There must be easier ways to make a living.
>
> You Nailed it!
>
> But, something I was shocked to find was in:
> http://www.vwbinc.com/press/122205pr.html
>
> They claim to be able to use CableCard on a Linux box.  I've never
> heard of such a thing.  Last I heard AVI had only demoed a CableCard
> device.
>
> What gives?

There was some discussion of this very machine/company on this list a
while back. I think the conclusion was that there is a vast
difference between the technical ability to interface with the card
and the legal/licensing ability to actually use it. I believe they
referred to CableCard in the future tense.

They do seem to have some interesting hardware that might well be of
use for Myth systems. Check the archives for the past discussion.