[mythtv-users] Hardware Sanity Check

Allan Stirling Dibblahmythml0015 at pendor.org
Wed Jun 7 14:24:12 UTC 2006

> I initially went with 512MB, but since I'm not installing a hard drive and
> will be PXE booting/NFS mounting the filesystems, I thought the extra
> memory might be helpful.

Just a quick comment which may or may not be helpful.

Network swap works over nbd just fine. There are apparently
some corner-cases which it breaks on, but I haven't seen any.

This works for me with 2.6+ kernels and creates a sparse
swapfile (I use XFS). Do NOT use the -swap parameter to
nbd-client - It causes a hard lock.

Server:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/share/swap-1 bs=1M count=1 seek=2048
mkswap /mnt/share/swap-1
/usr/bin/nbd-server 32768 /mnt/share/swap-1

Client:
modprobe nbd
/usr/sbin/nbd-client 192.168.0.2 32768 /dev/nbd0
swapon /dev/nbd0