[mythtv-users] Integrated Sound vs. Sound Card, suggestions ??

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 7 14:31:44 UTC 2006

> The power supply is a supposedly decent Thermaltake unit and should
> have reasonable regulation.

Even top quality switching power supplies are optimized for driving
digital logic circuits, not necessarily sensitive analogue ones.

> Googling around it seems this is indeed a very common complaint, and
> it seems the motherboard makers do indeed give just as much attention
> to audio quality as they do to the built-in video :-)

Aha! You've broken the code!  Even different revision levels of the same
motherboard can have widely differing audio characteristics.

> It seems my "under $200" project to improve my audio will probably
> run closer to $1000 by the time I get a receiver, some good speakers,
> sound card etc. Oh well, that's how it is with hobbies, guess I'll
> just put off buying that Intel-based Mac for a little while :-)

As you point out, it's a hobby.  Besides, do you really need yet another
Intel based machine or would it be better to hold out for something
really neat like a Cell processor?  :)  You can muse on that while
listening to beautiful music on your new sound system.  ;)

Chris