[mythtv-users] Way OT: ota signal via cable?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 7 23:48:28 UTC 2006

On 06/07/2006 12:13 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

>On Jun 7, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
>>Most cable companies put a device to block any signals going to
>>unsubscribed houses, so odds are you won't get anything.
>>
>>Some will just block cable channels and leave the OTA channels
>>available over their lines. It may be worth calling Cox and asking
>>what their policy is. Some companies even have an OTA tier for
>>something like $5 a month where they will let you get just the OTA
>>channels off their line.
>>

>Usually that "really basic" tier includes other stimulating
>entertainment like C-SPAN, Local Origination and the Home Shopping
>Channel (They get paid per subscriber for each home they can deliver
>as a "viewer" of HSN, and the L.O. stuff usually has to be delivered
>per Franchise Agreement).
>
>If you're really lucky you'll also get other edge-of-seat material
>like local City Council meetings and High School football.
>
>In truth it's usually not a bad deal for $4 or $5 a month.

Yeah.  I dropped the service (and went to satellite) when the free local
channels were costing me $13/month and the cable company was trying to
get me to drop the analog package of the local channels and upgrade to
the digital package of the local channels for $20+/month.  If I had
upgraded, I'm sure they would have said, you're paying more than half
the cost of the regular cable package, so you might as well upgrade...

Mike