[mythtv-users] Speaker Suggestions ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Jun 8 20:05:50 UTC 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Marko Nurmenniemi wrote:

> I have a personal opinion which is strongly related to my early years.
> In my opinion the best speakers come from Finland and should start
> with
> letter G... ;-)
> I use Genelec acoustically matched pair for both 2-way and 5.1
> listening.

I'm not familiar with those units, but I'll certainly look into them.

> Seriously though, if you are talking to a enthusiast dealer (at
> least in
> our neighborhood) it should be no problem to get a pair or two in your
> home to get the acoustics "right". That is the place you want to test
> the speakers not in an dampened studio, unless you also own one.
>
> Another thing to note is that any demo disk should contain sounds or
> music that are NOT compressed. One of my first disappointments came
> after I noticed that almost all of my CD's were lacking both in
> high and
> low content. So all my rock albums were basically disco music.

It's hard to find a DVD soundtrack that has not been "processed" and
"enhanced" within an inch of its life, and another word for
"enhancement" is "distortion". It is a change from what was
originally recorded, no matter how good the intentions of the
"enhancer".

> High quality content is usually best recorded in classical music but
> there are some artists that actually care about these things, they are
> hard to find in my experience though. One of the easiest measures for
> high frequencies is to listen for example how long a piano or
> symbal (?
> the plates in a drum set ?) keeps on playing before it is muted beyond
> noise threshold. For the deep bass there is only one option, again go
> with classical, what I have found useful is to find recording done in
> churches. Really deep tones area possible from those pipes.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned E. Power Biggs, perhaps the best
classical organist to have ever lived.

One thing that made his recordings so good was the fact that he was
an electrical engineer, and understood much better than most
musicians what was involved in getting a good recording.

Of course the problem is that with any good church organ, the
building is as much a part of the instrument as the pipes, and you
will never be able to reproduce the less than 1 hz. sub-sonics that
add so much to the total sound.

For a really great look into pipe organs and their sound, try and
find the Nova production of "Voices in the Wind", one of their best
shows ever IMHO.

("cymbal", by the way, but your English is very good)