[mythtv-users] LIRC : sofware setup looks good but no response from irrecord or irw

Scott Johnson scott-mythtv at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 9 03:23:37 UTC 2006

After returning my PVR 500, I bought a PVR 150 and it has worked great.
If the remote would work it would be perfect.

I've been following Jarod's How-To and I can't find anything wrong with
my current setup except that of course it behaves like the hardware is
not getting any IR signals.

I'm using the drivers for Fedora Core 4 2.6.16-1.2111_FC4 which is the
latest kernel available via yum.
lircd service is running fine.  /sbin/service --status-all   shows this
/dev/lirc exists and has 666 permissions
There are no errors listed in /var/log/messages
I can see the LED light flashing when I view the remote using my
camcorder.  So the remote is working.
I shoved the IR cable as far in the IR slot as it will go.  (Another
post mentioned sometimes people don't put them in far enough).
I have lirc_dev and lirc_i2c and /sbin/modinfo looks good.
I tried
# irrecord -f -d /dev/lirc lirc_record
irrecord: gap not found, can't continue
when I press buttons on the remote.  Then again, I get the same error
when I don't press any buttons.

So my working theory is that the IR cable is bad.  This puts me into a
small depression as RMAs have cost me a month and too much restocking
money.  So before I go that route, maybe there is something I've missed.

Scott