[mythtv-users] Fw: Integrated Sound vs. Sound Card, suggestions ??

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jun 9 10:09:24 UTC 2006

Indulis Bernsteins/Australia/IBM
07/06/2006 09:32 PM

mythtv-users at mythtv.org
cc

Subject
Re: [mythtv-users] Integrated Sound vs. Sound Card, suggestions ??

If you use an optical TOS-Link cable from the SPDIF (IEC982) output on an
audio card that supports it, and into your home theatre amp (most of them
have a couple of SPDIF connections), *and* you can get your sound card to
output through the SPDIF connection properly, then you can get good audio
with no chance of a ground loop!  My motherboard has an SPDIF plate that
goes into a PCI slot hole in the case, you can select to send your audio
out through this instead of through the normal audio jacks using amixer or
alsamixer or gui equivalents.

The audio stays in the digital domain, and you don't have to worry about
the cheap and nasty audio amplifiers they put onto motherboards or cheap
audio cards, or the poor power filtering in the computer, or the crosstalk
from GHz radio signals flying around in the computer case.

I am about to set this up, once I have the LIRC remote control done, and I
find a decent price for a TOSLINK optical cable ($20 for 1.5m of fishing
line and some plastic connectors just shouts RIPOFF to me).

Luck!

Indulis