[mythtv-users] I Added two 320 GB hard drives to my system, but I cant use them.LVM Problem.

drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com drescher0110-mythtv at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 15:34:06 UTC 2006

> >Can you post the output of pvs?
>

> [root at localhost ~]# pvs
>   /dev/cdrom: open failed: No medium found
>   PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>   /dev/hda7  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   136.88G      0
>   /dev/hdb1  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   186.28G  64.00M
>   /dev/hde1  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   298.06G 298.06G
>   /dev/hdg1  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   298.06G 298.06G
> [root at localhost ~]#

This is a good sign. You have both drives added into the lvm and they are showing up
as  free space. You now need to run lvextend and then resize the filesystem.

lvextend --help
File descriptor 4 left open
  lvextend: Add space to a logical volume

lvextend
        [-A|--autobackup y|n]
        [--alloc AllocationPolicy]
        [-d|--debug]
        [-h|--help]
        [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]]
        {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber |
         -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[kKmMgGtT]}
        [-m|--mirrors Mirrors]
        [-n|--nofsck]
        [-r|--resizefs]
        [-t|--test]
        [--type VolumeType]
        [-v|--verbose]
        [--version]
        LogicalVolume[Path] [ PhysicalVolumePath... ]

The command should be something like the following:

lvextend -L +596.12G MythData

Where MythData is whatever you called your logical volume when you installed it.

Then after this step a pvs should show very little space free on the disks.

After this you will have to resize your filesystem on the lvm. I don't believe you
stated what filesystem you are using but I will give you an example. For reiserfs
(this is what I use) the command is simply

resize_reiserfs /dev/VolGroup00/MythData

Assuming MythData is the name of your logical volume again...

John