[mythtv-users] choppy video on mythfrontend along with 90% cpu usage

Rishabh Manocha rmanocha at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 21:14:33 UTC 2006

Hey Guys,

I've been running MythTv on my desktop (P4 2.0 GHz, 512 MB Ram, 80Gb
HD, PVR-150, nvidia GeForce4 MX 420) for a while now and evrything
wokrs fine on it(both mythbackend and mythfrontend running on the same
machine).

However, I recently bought a $40 machine from someone on craigslist (P
III 750 MHz, 160 MB Ram, ATI 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c) video card) so
that I can connect it to my TV with a s-video out. This machine
connects to the backend well and the menus work just fine and show me
all the info needed. However, when it comes to playing either recorded
tv or live tv, the video becomes choppy (much more so with live tv
than with recorded tv) and mythfrontend starts using almost 90% of
cpu.

My backend is uploading data at about 700 Kb/s (as seen on gkrellm)
while watching live tv and about 300 kb/s while watching recorded tv.
Both machines are connected through a router with the backends ip at
192.168.0.3 and the frontends ip at 192.168.0.15.

I'm wondering if this is a networking issue 'cause mythfrontend
running on the same machine as mythbackend shows video and audio just
fine.

Any clues where to look??

Thanks,

Rishabh