[mythtv-users] Myth 0.18

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 12 13:14:42 UTC 2006

David Whyte wrote:
> Bah, Steve beat me to it, but I concur, this has the be the easiest
> way, compared with having an extra HDD.
What 'extra' hard drive?  He wants to put a 2nd frontend on another PC
and he needs a hard drive to do that, n'est ces  pas?

My advice, from personal experience, is not to assume that upgrading to
0.19 will be trouble-free.  Try it if you wish, but do make a backup
first.  On version 0.19 my slave frontends lock up frequently and
restarting slave backends and frontends occasionally locks up the master
backend.  It's not nearly as troublesome as some of the earlier
versions, but I was definitely spoiled by the 10 months of 100%
trouble-free operation I had on 0.18 and 0.18.1.

If you really want to stay on 0.18.1, you can get the source from svn
and compile it:

svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/tags/release-0-18-1/mythtv

If your rpm packager actually grabbed a later version of 0.18-fixes, you
may have to grab the final version in
'branches/release-0-18-fixes/mythtv' and upgrade both machines to that.
But that's a minor upgrade compared to 0.19.  However, if you're going
to switch from rpm-installed binaries to source-installed binaries,
uninstall the rpm's before you do the final 'make install' because you
don't want to end up with a duplicate set of binaries on one machine.

FWIW, the reason I stopped installing myth from pre-packed rpm's and
went back to installing from source is because of the exact situation
you describe.

Bill