[mythtv-users] Extremely Good Deal on 2.5" drive

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 13 19:19:28 UTC 2006

On Jun 13, 2006, at 12:53 PM, Mudit Wahal wrote:

> "This product is refurbished in retail packaging."

I did miss that, but it would have made no difference to me at all.
I've purchased many refurbed drives and have never had one fail yet,
though I have had two brand new ones fail in the warranty period (a
Seagate and a Maxtor, who are now the same company BTW).

I also do not know anything about the NAS server. I bought one for
3.5" drives a while back and it was a samba server that could only
see FAT-32 drives, which leads to a file size limitation that is
fatal for Myth systems storing video.

Getting closer to on-topic - does anybody have suggestions for NAS
storage for Myth systems ?

I'm using a couple of Slugs (Linksys NSLU2s). Out of the box they
only run samba, but with EXT-2 filesystems. If you flash one of the
replacement firmwares you can run NFS with the filesystem of your
choice.

It's a little box that connects to your network and has 2 USB ports
for drives. They are slow but cheap, last seen at a Walmart in Omaha
on closeout for $23.

There is a full Debian port for the box (actually there are two, as
the CPU can run in Big or Little endian mode). I'm running Gentoo on
one now, hoping to get a little more speed than the Debian port.

I see Mudit's post has the link for the slug community.