[mythtv-users] Ubuntu MythTV Repositories

Indulis Bernsteins indulis.b at au1.ibm.com
Wed Jun 14 01:54:23 UTC 2006

OK- here are my instructions on how to compile mythtv from scratch for
Ubuntu (or other debian distros).

NOTE:
When you are using checkinstall, you want to set the name, version, and
release correctly.  More info below

======== start of instructions ========
0) Do this as root (this is step 0 I am NOT going to renumber ;-)
1) mkdir /opt/mythtv
  (or wherever you're going to store your sources)
2) cd /opt/mythtv
3) Note the release info which the following commands will spit out
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/myththemes
4) Backup up your current mythtv database (IMPORTANT...DO THIS- NO
EXCUSES!)
   mysqldump -u mythtv -pmy_password mythconverg -c >
/home/my_user_name/mythtv_backup_2006_06_14_a.sql
 5) remove the current mythtv packages from your system using synaptic or
dpkg- its OK you wont lose your data (unless you say Remove Completely- so
don't do that)
6)   cd mythtv
7) from instructions at
http://www.prettymad.net/index.php/How_to_Build_a_MythTV_Box_-_Revised/New/20050918#Install_MythTV_from_a_Repository
compile mythtv note that the path after --dvb-path is dependent on the
kernel you are running- get this with "uname -a". If you are not using a
DVB tuner (digital TV) then you can leave this --enable-dvb and
--dvb-path=blahblahblah out of the command below
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-dvb
--dvb-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.12-10-k7/include --enable-proc-opt
8) qmake mythtv.pro
9)make
10) use synaptic or apt-get install checkinstall
11) checkinstall
   (note- take all of the default options for leaving out files etc, just
fill out the package
    name, version, and release number when it presents a panel to do this)
12) cd ../mythplugins
13) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-transcode --enable-opengl
--enable-vcd
14) qmake mythplugins.pro
15) make
16) checkinstall
17) cd ../myththemes
18) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mythtv-0.19
19) qmake myththemes.pro
20) make
21) checkinstall
22)add mythtv to admin group, also to cdrom and plugdev groups
23) Add the following to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so
# LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so

<Directory /var/www/mythweb>
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
</Directory>
24) create a symbolic link from /var/www/mythweb to where the web files
live
ln -s /usr/local/share/mythtv/mythweb /var/www/mythweb
25) I am not going to tell you how to set up apache2 (cos I don't have it
written down!)
26) Change the mythbackend executable in /etc/init.d/mythbackend to be
/usr/local/bin/mythbackend instead of /usr/bin
27) Put mysql.txt where mythtv wants to find it (discussion below)
28) /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart
29) Check that you have mythbackend running using ps -ef | grep
mythbackend
============== end of instructions
================
How I set up checkinstall options- use the SVN version numbers that you
wrote down in step 3 to fill in the release levels- you should just have
to change 2, 3, and 4.

...for mythtv
0 -  Maintainer: [ root at localhost ]
1 -  Summary: [ mythtv_0.19.9906 ]
2 -  Name:    [ mythtv ]
3 -  Version: [ 0.19.1 ]
4 -  Release: [ 9906 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 -  Source location: [ mythtv ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [ /usr/local ]

...for plugins

This package will be built according to these values:

0 -  Maintainer: [ root at localhost ]
1 -  Summary: [ Plugins for mythtv ]
2 -  Name:    [ mythplugins ]
3 -  Version: [ 0.19.1 ]
4 -  Release: [ 9906 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 -  Source location: [ mythplugins ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [ /usr/local ]

...for themes

0 -  Maintainer: [ root at localhost ]
1 -  Summary: [ Mythtv themes ]
2 -  Name:    [ myththemes ]
3 -  Version: [ 0.19.1 ]
4 -  Release: [ 9914 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ i386 ]
8 -  Source location: [ myththemes ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]

Potential problems- location of mysql.txt has changed- this holds the
passwords that mythtv uses to log in to the mysql database server.
Apparently the mythtv developers don't think it is a good idea to give the
full path name of the files mythtv is looking for
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1806 as this problem was closed as
"invalid".  The solution is (I think) at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/207462 where it says
to have both ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt (which means .mythtv/mysql.txt in the
home dir of the user that runs mythtv), and/or /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt - I
have so many now from truing to solve the problem that I don't know which
one is the one that works!

I *think* that is all... let me know how you go!

Indulis