[mythtv-users] Multiple TV Tuners in the backend.

Paul Simpson paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com
Fri Jun 16 13:59:15 UTC 2006

> Yep.  The only way for both to use the same tuner is for one to start
> LiveTV and for the other to begin watching the "recording in progress"
> created for the LiveTV.  To do this, you would need to allow LiveTV
> recordings to be shown in your Watch Recordings page or switch to the
> LiveTV recording group to select the recording.
>
> Also, if the one watching LiveTV changed the channel, the one watching
> it as a recording would exit the recording playback at the point during
> the show when the recording ended (i.e. when the channel was changed).
>
> So, if you don't want to lose control over your LiveTV, use your own
> tuner for it.  In other words watch LiveTV, not the recording being
> created by someone else's LiveTV--which is exactly how LiveTV works
> unless you go to the trouble of explicitly doing something else.  :)
>
> Mike

Hi, sorry to gate-crash this thread, but I've been wondering about some of
this stuff too. I',looking at putting in a Myth system at home but don't
want to create (more) arguements with / between the kids!

Questions:-

1) What if you have more front-ends than tuners?
2) What happens if a tuner that is in use for live TV is suddenly needed
for a recording?

What I'm thinking of doing is having a tuner card or two connected to my
cable service. Some of the channels are free, but a lot are subscription.
Now, if my eldest two both want to watch "The Simpsons" live, in their own
rooms (coz they can't be trusted / don't want to be in the same one!) can
they do this?

I guess what I'm looking for is a document that describes a fairly
comprehensive (complex?) setup....

Thanks,
--
Paul