[mythtv-users] S/PDIF - how to enable?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jun 17 04:37:52 UTC 2006

On 06/16/2006 10:04 PM, Chad wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> wrote:
>
>> I have two different systems with the same problem: mplayer can use
>> the S/PDIF (with -ac hwac3), but I can't get Myth to use it. I enabled
>> the option in the "General" setup section

Note that the setting you've set:

Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough
Enable sending AC3 audio directly to your sound card's SPDIF output, on
sources which contain AC3 soundtracks (usually digital TV).  Requires
that the audio output device be set to something suitable.

will only affect recordings with AC-3 audio (i.e. HDTV recordings).  If
you're using an analog capture card, the setting will have no effect.

>>  - is there another setting
>> that i am missing?
> For your audio output instead of using /dev/dsp use:
> ALSA:spdif
>
> You can try different variations of spdif (iec985 or something like
> that)

close, iec958

Mike