[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Jeff jeff3140 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 04:06:57 UTC 2006

I was curious today so I took a look at one of my bad recordings (they
were all bad from the last few days) and sure enough going through the
recording frame by frame, there is an obvious break in the motion
where frames have been dropped. This is not a playback issue, it is a
recording issue.

Unfortunatly it isn't related to transcoding either. I've disabled all
transcode jobs and the log file shows no evidence of any transcoding
being started. However all of my recordings from today show the
"stutter" problem. Interestingly though I didn't have any of the
IOBOUND errors logged.

At the moment the system is recording a show and mythbackend is
running at 76-90% CPU (Athlon 1400). I've tried a few different things
to try and figure out what its doing but no luck. oprofile shows a
picture like this so I may have to build a kernel to do this or maybe
just build mythbackend and try gprof instead.

CPU: CPU with timer interrupt, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
Profiling through timer interrupt
          TIMER:0|
  samples|      %|