[mythtv-users] Lean Distro for Myth-Frontend

Matthias Thyroff Matthias at thyroff.net
Mon Jun 19 14:12:06 UTC 2006

Am Montag, 19. Juni 2006 15:40 schrieb Sasha Z:
> I use NFS for a diskless client. I usually use about 1.2GB total, root
> and var. Of course, that includes multiple window managers and web
> browsers for when I feel like using the computer for other things.
> This is on Arch Linux.

That was what I had in mind. At first I tried ltsp, which is meant to make
thin x-clients. It is working, but I can't get sensors to work - all the
stuff generated and mounted in tempfs at boot makes life too complicated.

Then I tried the diskless package and found similar problems: There also the
intention is to get a common read only root directory and tmpfs directories
for etc, etc. for each client. But I have only 1 client, so I thought I could
have a dedicated root directory on an nfs share for my myth frontend, and
then, on the frontend computer, work as if it had a hard disk (install,
configure... without the added complexity of being able to boot another 1000
myth frontends from the same root directory...).

When I tried to set up my own "fat client" based on a running dapper
installation, it seems that the problem I have is udev: I am using the root
nfs over the network interface already but then udev is started and wants to
rename the network interface, which is busy, so boot hangs there. But I
suppose I need udev (usb sticks, DVD disks...)?

So it is not as easy as using a dapper installation and changing pxe, dhcp and
fstab. How did you do it in Arch Linux? Is there a Howto?

Thanks for the advice,

	Matthias