[mythtv-users] PVR 500 not changing channels

Bryan Halter bhalter at armyofpenguins.com
Mon Jun 19 21:57:40 UTC 2006

TimberWolf wrote:
> Dear listmembers,
>
> I have been plugging along, trying to get my Haupauge PVR-500 to work with
> mythtv. So far without much success, I might add. Situation:
>
> MythTV box (.19), running latest kernel and updates. Used to work
> wonderfully with 2 bttv cards, so the system is configured right (or at
> least proves I have a minor clue how to do it :))
>
> Installed the PVR500, fiddled around with some tuner settings, and managed
> to get a 'signal detected' out of 'ivtv-tune -f 208' on both tuners. But,
> whatever I do, I cant get mythtv to change channels :( Starting
> mythfrontend->Watch TV gets me static, unless I do the ivtv-tune thing in
> another session. Changing channels gives a brief pause, and then resumes
> watching the exact same channel. Setting the card inputs (ivtvctl -p,
> iirc) does nothing, readding the card to mythsetup does nothing, different
> tuner settings no joy either.
>
> So, I'm well and truly stuck, and must subject to your collective
> knowledge ;) Some observations:
>
> - Whenever I add the tunercard to mythtvsetup I can only choose 'Tuner 1',
> while several websites mention 'Tuner 0'.
> - Setting the tuner= setting in modprobe.conf makes no apparent difference.
> - Settings other than 'Tuner' in modprobe.conf result in errors.
> - ivtv loads well, without 'tuner type not set'.
> - Manual tuning works a charm.
>
> For reference, my lspci -v for the card:
>
> 04:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 17f7
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 19
>         Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> 04:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
> (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
>         Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 17e7
>         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 20
>         Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>
> dmesg output available on request, it's rather a large chunk of text...
>
> Any help is appreciated, as I'm drawing blanks at the moment :)
>
> Friendly greetings,
>
> A. de Vet, who needs to remember what address he used to subscribe to the
> list...
> timberwolf at meanframe.com
>
> ps: Excuse the more blatant spelling mistakes. I do try, but I'm not a
> native speaker ;)

I've seen this before when my system wasn't loading all the necessary
kernel modules.

For reference here is the lsmod from my BE.  To get all the "other"
modules try turning on 'Automatic Kernel Module Loading' that should
cause all the modules ivtv needs to be loaded along with ivtv.

bhalter at vger ~ $ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
tda9887                14800  0
wm8775                  5708  0
cx25840                21456  0
tuner                  39396  0
tveeprom               15120  0
ivtv                  189204  2
i2c_algo_bit            8200  1 ivtv
videodev                8960  3 ivtv
nvidia               5416244  0
snd_intel8x0           30632  0
snd_ac97_codec         98136  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            2432  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                75980  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              19400  1 snd_pcm
snd                    45376  4
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               7904  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8656  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
i2c_core               17304  8
tda9887,wm8775,cx25840,tuner,tveeprom,ivtv,i2c_algo_bit,nvidia