[mythtv-users] R5000 HD SAT recording

Michael Chmilar michael_chmilar at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 00:39:32 UTC 2006

I am using an R5000HD-modified DirecTV receiver with MythTV.

The R5000HD software, which runs only on a Windows XP machine, can
send the MPEG transport stream out to a firewire port on the XP
machine. The purpose of this is to allow recording/archiving to a
DVHS machine.

Note that this solution requires you to run a Windows XP machine as
well as your mythbackend Linux machine. The USB connection between
the DirecTV hardware and the XP computer does not deliver a standard
MPEG2 transport stream. It delivers data in DirecTV's format. The
R5000HD software on XP reformats the data into a transport stream.

The firewire recorder in MythTV (for cable boxes) will accept the
MPEG program stream sent from the XP computer.

The only additional trick is that the Myth machine must set its
firewire configuration ROM to advertise that it is an AV/C device,
and respond the the AV/C protocol for DVHS recorders. I have modified
a version of the ddr1394 program for Linux to perform this function.

The R5000HD is able to capture both HD and SD (standard definition)
transport streams. However, there is a long latency when it is
switching between HD and SD, and this causes some recording failures.
If you only record HD (or only SD), the recording is reliable.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=449402&highlight=R5000+myth