[mythtv-users] help me in installing winTV-PVR in SUSE 10.0 Linux machine

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 21 09:27:44 UTC 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 2:56 AM, Ramanraj Vamsi wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently bought Hauppauge 250 tuner card.I wanna install this in
> my Linux machine.But I am very new to linux environment.
> Please let me know the required procedure .

We would need a lot more information in order to give you a
reasonable answer.

To begin with, MythTV is an ambitious project for a Linux beginner,
but certainly not impossible.

A lot depends on which Linux distribution you are using, and what it
is that you want to do with your PVR card.

It is possible that MythTV is not the solution to your question. If
you simply want to capture a few videos from your camcorder to mpeg
files, for example, installing the IVTV drivers and cat-ing the
output of your video device to a file would work just fine.

Assuming that you wish to install MythTV on your system, you would
begin by reading (and then re-reading) the docs, perhaps starting with:

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

The more time you spend in reading the documentation the easier
things will be.

Along the way you will learn a *lot* about Linux, by necessity, and
this is a good thing.

You might also decide to install one of the "all-in-one" MythTV
distributions. These allow you to install MythTV with less general
knowledge of Linux required. Mythdora, Amicus and Knoppmyth will all
install a working MythTV system on your machine. It all depends on
whether your goal is to get a Myth system up and running ASAP, or to
learn as much as you can about Linux, which is a lot more fun IMHO :-)