[mythtv-users] Problem starting mythbackend

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Jun 21 22:41:36 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 19/06/06, Chris Wilkinson <blobster at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I just installed SuSE 10.1, and consequently needed to re-install
>> MythTV 0.19, which I had working flawlessly on SuSE 10.0. I've
>> installed the MythTV 0.19 for SuSE 10.1 from packman...
>>
>> If I use the YaST services manager and try to start mythbackend it
>> tells me it needs to start hald and network, which are both already
>> running. It then prints a message stating "program not configured".
>> If I try to run it from the CLI it sits forever after a message,
>> 'Seem to be woken up by USER'...
>>
>> MySQL and xmltv are working fine, and my IP settings and port are
>> as desired. I haven't managed to get lirc working yet, but the backend
>> should run without that I believe.
>>
>> Anyone have any clues to solve this wee puzzle? :-)
>
> As a non-SUSE user I can't offer specific advice, but I'd check to see
> if the backend is writing to its logfile before halting, as there may
> be useful messages here.
>
> Are you using LIRC to control any external devices? I guess it's
> possible that if a LIRC script called by the backend to change channel
> failed it could affect the backend startup. For remote controls
> however, the frontend is the responsible party.

I do not run SUSE, but Fedora so these things might not work....

Check with 'service hald status' or equivalent whether hald (and
network) are actually running and not blocked or stopped, before
starting mythbackend.

If starting mythbackend as a service, make sure that it is, in fact,
being started AFTER the others. In Fedora, the start order for services
is set by the numeric order in the various /etc/rc.d/rcx.d folders. So
'S10network' is precedes 'S64mysqld' etc. Make sure mythbackend is later
than these.

I note that in Fedora, the service scripts (in /etc/rc.d/init.d are
scripts which call their programs, and NOT the programs themselves. You
may have inadvertently substituted the program (which should be
somewhere like /usr/local/sbin) for the script.

Finally, if you start mythbackend from the command line and get the
'Seem to be started by User' message' then Yippee! the back end IS
working! The backend is not intended to be particularly garrulous...if
you want more, you can change the verbosity level when invoking the
program, and look at the log file...

Now open another console and start mythfrontend.

Geoff