[mythtv-users] How to add screenshots in Mythgame?

Bert Santema atsantema at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 11:43:56 UTC 2006

I'll answer my own question after debugging the code.

It seems that mythgame first strips the file extension by chopping off everything after the last .
(dot) in the filename (of the game in question). It then cycles through this list of image format
extensions to see if appending any of those result in an existing file (in the screenshot
directory):
   png
   gif
   jpg
   jpeg
   xpm
   bmp
   pnm
   tif
   tiff

The reason my screenshots didn't get picked up was because it concerned multiple disk games. For
these games, the filenames of the disk are different from the game name because the disk number is
included. In order to make it work I had to specify the screenshot filename with the disknumber
included.

However, currently Mythgame does not specify specifically which disk (filename) it will use of the
ones available for that game. In case of Amiga games, this also mostly results in the wrong disk
being loaded in the emulator. I submitted a patch 1983 (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1983)
for that problem, which also fixes the screenshot problem (because it now selects specifically the
first disk or rather the disk with the highest diskcount).

Hope this helps for others as well.

Cheers,
Bert