[mythtv-users] Advice on UK-based providers.

Paul Simpson paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com
Thu Jun 22 23:44:41 UTC 2006

> On 22/06/06, Paul Simpson <paul at maggiandpaul.dnsalias.com> wrote:
>
>> Now, my question concerns advice on the appropriate mix of sources.
>> Also,
>> can anyone tell me what channels I can get from each, both free and on
>> subscription?
>
> 60s looking gave me:
>
> http://freeview.co.uk/channels/
> http://www.home.ntl.com/page/packagecomparechannels
> http://www.sky.com/ordersky/channelpackages

Thanks for those! Am I alone in thinking that these folks don't understand
about using the Internet to communicate information? The sky site is OK,
but I gave it a few minutes and still don't know which pack gives me
Norm!! What I'm after is a simple grid with all the channels down the side
and all the "packs" along the top. Then ticks in the boxes. Nice and easy
to see everything at a glance. Is that too much to ask these folks to do?
Oh well, rant over!!

>> Ideally, I'd like to avoid having loads of decoder boxes in addition to
>> my
>> back-end.
>
> This is a problem with either ntl:digital or Sky Digital. You need a
> capture card per cable/satellite box, and a box for each simultaneous
> recording you want to make. You'll also need a way to control them -
> most people will use a serial/USB IR transmitter connected to the
> backend machine. If you just have a DVB-T-based system, you can just
> keep adding cards until you have enough to support your needs.

Humm, what happens if I get a DVB-C or a DVB-S card? Will it let me watch
the free stuff? That way I could get away with only one decoder box (I'm
only prepared to pay, at most, 1 subscription to these folks!) If I have
more than one DVB-S card, can I split the feed, or will I need a dual-head
dish? (I know I can split the cable OK <VBG>)

>> What cards will take a raw aerial / cable / satellite feed?
>
> For Freeview, a supported DVB-T card is all that is required.
>
> For subscription-based Sky or ntl, you're looking at a Hauppauge
> PVR-xx0-type card to record output using composite/S-Video from the
> box. You can also use a DVB-S card with a suitable dish to gain access
> to the unencrypted satellite channels.
>
>> I'm sure I've seen a card advertised with an add-on that can take a
>> cable
>> decoder smart-card to allow me to avoid a cable STB. Are there any cards
>> out there that can do this AND decode multiple channels simultaneously?
>> Is
>> there a similar device available for satellite?
>
> I'm fairly certain there are none that ntl will allow you to connect
> to and register on their network.

That's a shame. I wonder why not - it's only a different type of decoder.
If the hardware exists to do it, I think I'll chat them up!

>> When NTL installed cable where I am now, the guy told me that they send
>> an
>> UHF TV feed down the coax as well and that I can split the signal and
>> feed
>> it directly into the UHF of my TV. I tried this and it works. Does
>> anyone
>> know if the freeview channels are also sent this way?
>
> Back in the day it used to be just just the 5 analogue channels. Can't
> say whether DVB is also available this way.

I don't want to risk a "suck it and see" experiment. Has anyone else
looked into this?

>> All in all, I'm looking for a solution which gives me as many channels
>> as
>> possible for as little cost as possible. The kids love the Cartoon
>> Channel
>> and anything showing The Simpson's. I just want to get a channel that
>> shows "The New Yankee Workshop" :-D
>
> I have 2 ntl boxes, 2 PVR-x50 cards, and 4 DVB cards. This allows
> recording of two cable shows simultaneously, or watching Live cable
> and recording something other. Obviously anything on DVB does not
> affect things at all.

Looks pretty much like what I was thinking of (minus one NTL box).

> For Norm, you'll want to have Discovery RealTime (was called Home and
> Leisure) in your package - on ntl it's in the Family Pack.

Thanks - obviously a fellow fan!

> HTH,

It does, many thanks.

--