[mythtv-users] Suggested Firewire cards for backend server?

Jeff Coffler jeff-list-mythusers at taltos.com
Fri Jun 23 02:09:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a MythTV installation (XBox for the frontend, a big honkin' server for the backend).  It currently has a Hauppauge PVR-500, and I'm looking to capture data off my Motorola DCT-6200 via firewire.  This is in preparation for capturing HD (and getting a new frontend, obviously, since the XBox can't do HD).  The backend is running Fedora Core 5.

Anyway, my server motherboard doesn't have onboard firewire, so I'm looking for a firewire card.  Jarod's document suggests Western Digital branded PCI FireWire cards (NEC OrangeLink chipset).  However, these cards don't appear to be available anymore (via NewEgg, PriceGrabber, or Froogle).

Any suggestions for what firewire cards (that can be purchased today) work well with Linux?  Thanks!

    -- Jeff