[mythtv-users] Scheduling dilemma

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 23 03:33:12 UTC 2006

On 06/22/2006 12:29 PM, Nick wrote:

>On 22 Jun 2006 12:18:16 -0400, Greg Stark <gsstark at mit.edu> wrote:
>

>>I tried to program mythtv to record World Cup matches since I often don't wake
>>up in time to catch the start of the games. (Those Europeans sure are morning
>>people!)
>>
>>But I can't seem to find a way to indicate to mythtv that I really really want
>>it to record the earliest possible showing of a game. Even if there's a later
>>showing it could grab with the better capture card or that generates fewer
>>conflicts with lower priority shows.
>>
>>The situation is that there appear to be three timeslots in the morning when
>>live games are played, and often there are two games at the same time. I
>>receive two channels that show games in those timeslots. Sometimes it's one
>>channel, sometimes the other, and if there are two games usually they'll each
>>show one. Then they reshow the games in the evening with the half-time cut
>>out. I have two capture cards though so I can capture them both live.
>>

>Have you tried enabling "Reschedule Higher Priority Recordings" to see
>whether this affects your schedules?

Actually, the frontend setting (under "Recording Priorities" on page
"General Recording Priorities Settings")

Reschedule Higher Priorities
Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that
would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
program if the schedule changes.

would do exactly the opposite of what the OP wants.

Disable "Reschedule Higher Priorities" and set your World Cup recording
rule to the highest priority (99) to ensure it always records at first
showing.  Note, however, that disabling this setting may mean you miss
other shows that you could otherwise get by recording a later showing of
a higher priority program--i.e. the setting will affect more than just
World Cup.  Therefore, you'll still need to, "go into the frontend and
set overrides for each showing to ensure that it records the showings
you want" (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/210210#210210 )--only
by changing the setting, you'll be setting overrides for other programs...

Mike