[mythtv-users] Scheduling dilemma

Greg Stark gsstark at mit.edu
Fri Jun 23 04:08:42 UTC 2006

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> writes:

> Actually, the frontend setting (under "Recording Priorities" on page
> "General Recording Priorities Settings")

Egads, for those following along at home that's

Utilities/Setup
   -> Setup
       -> TV Settings
           -> Recording Priorities
                -> Set Recording Priorities

Perhaps the title of the page should match the menu items it took to get
there? It might make it more likely directions will help people find things.

Also the menus and configuration screens themselves seem due for a major
cleanup. Setup is the only item on its menu. And "Set Recording Priorities"
seems kind of meaningless if you're already in a menu called "Recording
Priorities"...

> Reschedule Higher Priorities
> Move higher priority programs to other cards and showings when resolving
> conflicts.  This can be used to record lower priority programs that
> would otherwise not be recorded, but risks missing a higher priority
> program if the schedule changes.
>
> would do exactly the opposite of what the OP wants.

It sure sounds like it. It sounds like what happened to me is a bug and
shouldn't have happened without this checkbox set.

However it also sounds like I, generally speaking, do want this setting
enabled. I only want it disabled (and working properly) for live events like
sporting events. It seems to me that it shouldn't be a general setup flag but
a scheduling option for each individual recording.

> Disable "Reschedule Higher Priorities" and set your World Cup recording
> rule to the highest priority (99) to ensure it always records at first
> showing.

It already is the highest priority at that time (+8) and higher than the later
showing.

What I have currently is

Saudia Arabia vs Spain 	10am +8 Will Record
Tunisia vs Ukraine 	10am +8 Later Showing

Saudia Arabia vs Spain 	12pm +4 Earlier Showing
Tunisia vs Ukraine 	12pm +4 Will Record

I have a bunch of other shows in those 6 hours but they range in priorities
from -1 to +3. None are close to +8.

One thing that may be catching me here is that I have the games scheduled to
record 25 minutes past the end (I missed the end of a game earlier). But
mythtv seems aware of the fact that recording two programs in a row is just as
good. It's perfectly happy to do it if I lower the priority of the later
showing of Tunisia vs Ukraine so that it gets overridden by the +3
programming. Then it records it in the earlier time slot.

> Note, however, that disabling this setting may mean you miss
> other shows that you could otherwise get by recording a later showing of
> a higher priority program--i.e. the setting will affect more than just
> World Cup.  Therefore, you'll still need to, "go into the frontend and
> set overrides for each showing to ensure that it records the showings
> you want" (

Yeah, it sounds like I actually do want to have this checked for non sports
programs. But currently it's not.

--
greg