[mythtv-users] One install part failing on FC5?

fkamp at comcast.net fkamp at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 21:42:42 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 24/06/06, Hedgy <hedgy at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Don't know if this helps, I'm a new user as well. I ran
>> into that problem, on one of those many times I
>> re-installed FC5 and MythTV to get things working
>> properly. When I got that error for
>>
>> yum install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
>>
>> I instead ran
>>
>> yum install ivtv
>>
>> and it checked for dependencies and automatically
>> grabbed the ivtv-KMDL module.
>
> This will work if all of the repositories are working (or
> failover if I repository is offline/bad happens
> gracefully). What I've noticed can happen is that if yum
> has an issue with one of the Fedora mirrors, the whole
> update process fails, instead of using another mirror, or
>  ignoring the repository with the problem.
>
> You can either tell yum to temporarily disable a
> repository (or several), or (as I've mentioned earlier)
> update the repository definition in /etc/yum.repos.d so
> that yum only tries to use a local working mirror.
>
> If the repository is called "extras" which mine is for
> FC4, try the following command:
>
> # yum --disablerepo=extras install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
>
> This should ignore the extras repo, and then use atrpms
> to install ivtv.

Not that I do not appreciate repos but I found that (at
least for me) it is much less of an aggravation to just go
to the ivtv homepage, download their tarball, and proceed
from there.  Their documentation is excellent, and so far it
has worked for me everytime I have tried it (about half a
dozen for various projects).  No need to worry if the repo
is ill or will be better soon.

Regards,
Frank Kamp