[mythtv-users] StreamZap receiver

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Sun Jun 25 04:59:14 UTC 2006

Varanger wrote:

> Has anyone used the Streamzap receiver with universal remote controls??
>
> I am planning to buy one but first I'd like to know first if it is
> possible to use the receiver with other remote controls. I think if
> it is an standard infrared receiver I could configure it just modifying
> LIRC configurarion files.

I just did that today. I had been using a universal remote that I'd
taught Hauppauge codes, and was using the IR receiver from a Hauppauge
PVR-350. Today I removed the PVR-350 and switched to lirc_streamzap and
a Streamzap USB receiver with the same remote.

'irw' didn't show any codes for my universal remote when lircd.conf had
the old Hauppauge PVR-350/"greyHauppauge" config (it showed codes when I
put the StreamZap remote lircd.conf in place and used the StreamZap
remote), but 'mode2' showed codes with my universal remote.

To get the StreamZap receiver working I had to
 0) rebuild LIRC -- the copy I had from ATrpms didn't include
lirc_streamzap -- and make modprobe changes
 1) use 'irrecord' to make a new lircd.conf file (for this, my IR source
was the real Hauppauge grey remote)
 2) reprogram a few of my universal remote keys. It seems that the
StreamZap receiver is more sensitive, and didn't recognize my universal
remote's attempts at reproducing a small number of Hauppauge codes, even
though my universal remote worked fine with the PVR-350 IR receiver and
LIRC.

-Peter