[mythtv-users] How long should a mythdvd perfect rip take?

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 26 14:28:26 UTC 2006

>Just to provide some insight into my system, here are the specs that might
>be considered pertinent:
>
>   - DVD Drive - Lite-On 1683S.  I've read numerous places on the web
>   that these drives can only effectively read a dual-layer DVD a 8x.  I belive
>   8x means 8*150Kbytes per second, which is 1.2Mbytes per second.  Doing
>   the math, that means it would/should take 100+ minutes to read a 6-8Gig
>   DVD.  This doesn't seem correct, so surely my logic is wrong.

The 'x'-number is different for CDs and DVDs. For CDs, Nx means 150 KB/sec
times N, whereas for DVDs it's about 1.4 MB/sec times N. Some DVD drives
also are much slower reading movie-DVDs than they are data-DVDs.

FWIW, it takes me about 25 minutes to rip an entire DVD as ISO using mythtv,
which is a few minutes slower than using 'dd' to do the same.